A record year for filing on time and filing online
HMRC has announced that a record 9.61m tax returns were filed on time this year.
There were 10.34m people in self assessment (SA) in 2011/12, so 93% met the return deadlines (31 October 2012 for paper and 31 January 2013 for online filing).
HMRC reports that these are the best SA results ever. The full figures are:
- Due back by 31 January 2013 – 10.34m (last year 10.45m)
- Received back by 31 January 2013 – 9.61m (last year 9.45m)
- Filed online – 7.93m, ie 82.5% (last year 7.65m)
- On-time proportion – 92.9% (last year 90.4%)
- Online proportion – 82.5% (last year 80.9%)
HMRC says the busiest day for online returns was 31 January, when 578,000 were filed. In the run-up to the deadline, some people clearly had a less than exciting holiday: 1,548 returns were filed on Christmas Day, 4,685 on Boxing Day, 27,161 on New Year’s Eve and 12,077 on New Year’s Day.